Monty’s Environmental & Social Responsibility Mission
Working to keep our world fantastical
for future generation
Recyclable & Sustainable Packaging
- Our truffle packaging films including our individual flow wraps and printed bags are now recyclable when taken to larger supermarket stores. The films ensure that our award winning truffles are protected whilst preserving their shelf life.
- We are committed to reducing and where possible completely removing plastic packaging used in our products. For example, we have removed at least 39g of plastic from each of our core Easter Eggs this Easter.
- Our product developers are all deeply passionate about minimising our use of plastic.
- Our aim where possible is to only use recyclable plastic packaging, kept clear of any colours that would prevent its recycling.
- We are working towards removing all non-essential plastic tamper seals from our production lines.
- We are working towards replacing all plastic based carton tape with paper alternatives within our retail range.
- Our core box ranges are designed to be compact and efficient on shelf and in our lorries to reduce fuel consumption.
- We have reduced our use of metallic card to improve the recyclability of our products.
- All our cocoa dusted truffles are imported in large ‘palletainers’ rather than outer cases to reduce the waste of cardboard. This also enables significantly greater volumes of truffles on our lorries, reducing the number of trips!
- All our carton packaging is sourced from sustainable forests.
- We have increased the recycled content in our rPET Christmas packaging to 70% to offer an even greener Christmas range for 2022.
Energy Use & The Environment
- We only use 100% renewable energy to power head office (that and truffles of course!).
- Our ambition is to join the Climate Hub’s climate commitment and halve our greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and additionally achieve net zero emissions before 2050. We acknowledge the significance of reducing concentrations of greenhouse gas emissions to avoid a global temperature increase of 1.5 °C as per the Paris Agreement target.
- We have offset our direct scope 1 & 2 carbon emissions for our head office by using tools from carbonfootprint.com.
- Our funding supports the Carbon Footprint’s global portfolio of carbon reduction programmes across the world via a range of projects that include carbon avoidance, clean and renewable energy generation. Many are within developing countries, where they also provide additional social benefits.
- The palm oil in our truffles is Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certified palm oil (https://www.rspo.org/). This means that the palm oil that we use is from palm oil plantations who commit to not clearing valuable forests in order to grow their palm oil crop. Check our progress at https://rspo.org/members/6614.
- Our Vegan range is growing with a wider selection of flavours and gifts all approved and registered with the Vegan Society, including an Advent Calendar, Truffle Gift Tower and range of Truffle Gift Boxes.
- We are conscious of the detrimental impact food waste has on the environment and do not like seeing any products go to waste. Our planning team therefore work extremely hard to avoid over production of products. Wherever possible, we donate products to local charities to avoid product ending up in waste and ensure our confectionary is enjoyed as much as possible.
- As a business that wishes to always do the right thing, Monty Bojangles would like to share the steps our organisation has taken during 2021 to deal with modern slavery and human trafficking risks in our supply chains and our own business.
- Our 2021 goal is to share awareness on what modern slavery actually looks like with Monty Bojangles employees by providing training to be completed by the end of the year.
- During 2022 our business will work with our supplying partners in Europe and the UK to ensure that our established risk-based supplier management system includes greater visibility into responsible sourcing information. This information is based on processes in place to deal with modern slavery and human trafficking risks throughout our supply chains. This is part of our work to continuously improve our supplier relationships and strengthen our brands standing in ethical compliance.